turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BlackDMax
Returning Member

Has anyone resolved "needs review" error after entering 1099-G? All info is accurate/complete per what the State provided. Have deleted/restarted, same result each time.

Payer's TIN, boxes 1, 4, & 11 required. 10a/b are blank, tried filling in, same result.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
SamS1
Expert Alumni

Has anyone resolved "needs review" error after entering 1099-G? All info is accurate/complete per what the State provided. Have deleted/restarted, same result each time.

Possibly, I would recommend deleting the 1099G using the trash can, log out of TurboTax, then log back in and re-enter the 1099G.  TurboTax works best in the Chrome Browser.  I would also recommend clearing your cache and cookies from your web browser before you log back into TurboTax.  Plus, make sure and answer all the question after you start adding the 1099G.

Here is how you clear your cache and cookies in Chrome

Remember, 1099G-Unemployment Benefits is considered taxable income so if you have an option to withhold Federal income taxes, it would soften the tax impact at the end of the year.

deanosalter
Returning Member

I do not use google chrome and use Brave. 
I disable all the shields and I am still receiving "needs review" 

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

This year we have seen a number of states issue 1099-G forms that have tax withheld in box 11, but boxes 10a and/or 10b are empty. TurboTax requires that if box 11 has a value, then boxes 10a and 10b must also have entries.

Box 10a is probably the two-letter state code for your state (example: "MI" for Michigan). The filer identification number for box 10b is likely to be the same to the Payer’s TIN on the left side of the form.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
deanosalter
Returning Member

I did not have taxes withheld. 
Boxes 10a 10b are empty box 11 is $0.00 

I have filled all boxes in correctly. 
Still I am met with "needs review" 

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

Are you saying that box 11 has "$0.00"? If so, please delete that and make sure that boxes 10a and 10b are also blank.

If that does not work, then please delete the 1099-G and re-enter it, only this time not entering any field that has "$0.00".

@deanosalter

Here is what fixed this for me:

Go to TurboTax's Form View and call up the problematic Form 1099-G. Note the state ID entered against the PAYER'S address block (left column of page, about 2/5 of the way down). Next, go to said Form's Block 10a. The state entered there needs to match the above-mentioned state ID.

Is this the same in Kansas as in Michigan? Is the PAYER'S TIN

the numbers that need to be put into box 10b on the 2021 1099-G for unemployee benefits that taxes were withheld on?

RobertB4444
Employee Tax Expert

@lammamie  The payer's state ein needs to go in box 10b.  If you don't have the state ein on your form and you need it (and google doesn't get it for you) then enter the payer's federal EIN into that space and see if that will fly for filing the return.  Kansas knows that they paid you.

Yes Thank you.

Thank you,

resolved Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies