Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Entered $10 from 1099-INT and it reduced my Federal return by $11 and NJ state return by $1. Total $12 reduction in return. How is it possible ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Entered $10 from 1099-INT and it reduced my Federal return by $11 and NJ state return by $1. Total $12 reduction in return. How is it possible ?

It is possible. As you enter $10 interest income, your taxable income will increase by $10. Tax is increased by $2 to $3, and income-based credits such as the earned income credit may decrease by a larger amount.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

Your federal tax liability is determined from the tax tables in $50 increments of income.  Adding even a single dollar of income has a chance of moving you from one $50 step to the next.  When you are in the 22% tax bracket, a step to the next $50 increment means $11 of additional federal tax liability.

I once added $6 in interest and the tax went up $12! It pushed me into the next tax bracket. I was right at the line.   Here is part of the Tax Table.  If you are Single and went from 44,240 Taxable Income and added $10 the tax jumps from 5,588 to 5,599 and increase of $11

TaxTable Interest.jpg

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies