Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I claim my air conditioner for ira monies? I only made 17,000 for the year and couldn't afford it. It was too hot. I have high blood pressure & diabetes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Can I claim my air conditioner for ira monies? I only made 17,000 for the year and couldn't afford it. It was too hot. I have high blood pressure & diabetes

It sounds like you are trying to determine if your early IRA distribution qualified for the penalty exception for unreimbursed medical expenses. If so, the answer is likely no. You would need a note from a physician indicating that the A/C was medically necessary. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

An air conditioner is not going to be a deductible medical expense.  Even with a doctor's letter, the only part of the cost that would be deductible is any extra cost (cost that is more than a standard air conditioner) that is due to your medical needs.

Sierra_T

My understanding is that IRA’s also provide an exemption to early distribution penalties for home renovations (under specific circumstances).

@GiseleDand @Opus 17 , since you previously answered this question, what are your thoughts?

@Sierra_T wrote:

My understanding is that IRA’s also provide an exemption to early distribution penalties for home renovations (under specific circumstances).

@GiseleDand @Opus 17 , since you previously answered this question, what are your thoughts?

First, you have to be a "first time" home buyer.  For the IRS, "first time" means you had no ownership interest in your main home during the 2-year period ending on the date you bought the home you plan to use IRA monies to buy or rebuild. If you are married, your spouse must also meet this no-ownership requirement.

Second, you have to use the money to buy, build, or "rebuild" your home (per publication 590-B).  In the actual tax code, the law says "costs of acquiring, constructing, or reconstructing a residence."  I do not know of a specific definition of "reconstruction", but a window air conditioner certainly would not qualify, and I suspect that replacing a central AC or heat pump would not be enough of an improvement to qualify as a "reconstruction" if you were audited, but you may want to seek professional advice.  

There are a couple of other rules, you must withdraw the money before you pay for the improvement and you must pay for the improvement within 120 days, and there is a lifetime limit of $10,000 for all withdrawals under the "first time" homebuyer rules.

You always owe regular income tax, the penalty exception would only apply to the extra 10% penalty for early withdrawal. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies