turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

accusox
Returning Member

CalPERS 1099R

I retired on a tax-free medical disability retirement in 1992 from CalPERS, and receive a 1099R each year. This is the first time I have used Turbo Tax and do not see any entry for my type of 1099R. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks.

Jim

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

CalPERS 1099R

I'm going to ask someone familiar with retirement situations and reporting to assist you in this thread, but it likely won't be until morning.

@dmertz Greetings.  Are you able to please assist this user when you are next in the forum?   Thanks!

accusox
Returning Member

CalPERS 1099R

Thank you.

CalPERS 1099R

You're welcome.  In the meantime, you might post some info that might help save time.  

1. Does Box 2a have an amount in it, or does it show 0.00, or is it blank?  
  2. What is indicated in Box 2b?  Are there any checkmarks?
  3. What is the distribution code in Box 7?
  4. Is there a checkmark or no checkmark for IRA/SEP/SIMPLE in Box 7?
dmertz
Level 15

CalPERS 1099R

As far as I know, a Form 1099-R from CalPERS is informationally no different than any other standard IRA Form 1099-R.  Enter the Form 1099-R exactly as received under Wages & Income (or Personal Income) -> Retirement Plans and Social Security -> IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), then answer the follow-up questions.  If the Form has code 3 in box 7, TurboTax will ask for the normal retirement age for the CalPERS plan and, if you were under that age, report the income on Form 1040 line 1 as wages rather than as pension income on line 4.

https://www.calpers.ca.gov/page/retirees/taxes/understanding-your-1099r-tax-form

accusox
Returning Member

CalPERS 1099R

This was an error on my part. I missed the area where to enter all the information from my 1099-R. This is my first attempt at TurboTax and learned to take each box one at a time along with carefully reading each area.

Thank you for all your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies