Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

401k rollover with Roth

I changed jobs this year and my 401k through previous employer has a pretax and a Roth portion.
I already have a traditional Roth account and have contributed the maximum this year.

If I rollover the 401k Roth portion to a traditional Roth do I have to pay taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

401k rollover with Roth

@macuser_22 wrote:

@kman9 wrote:

I changed jobs this year and my 401k through previous employer has a pretax and a Roth portion.
I already have a traditional Roth account and have contributed the maximum this year.

If I rollover the 401k Roth portion to a traditional Roth do I have to pay taxes?

No.   There is no tax on a rollover.

HOWEVER,

There is a 60 day time limit, and if you do an indirect rollover, where you get a check and deposit it into the new account, your prior 401(k) might be required to withhold part of it for taxes.  If that happens and you don't find money from some place else to make it up, you could owe tax on the partial withdrawal.  You want to do a direct rollover, where the funds are transferred directly from the 401(k) trustee to the IRA trustee and you never handle the money in between.

A direct rollover does not count as a contribution, so you aren't limited if you already contributed to the IRA, and it does not constitute a withdrawal as long as it is direct rollover and all the money you take out of plan A makes it into plan B within 60 days. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

401k rollover with Roth

@kman9 wrote:

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

401k rollover with Roth

@macuser_22 wrote:

@kman9 wrote:

HOWEVER,

There is a 60 day time limit, and if you do an indirect rollover, where you get a check and deposit it into the new account, your prior 401(k) might be required to withhold part of it for taxes.  If that happens and you don't find money from some place else to make it up, you could owe tax on the partial withdrawal.  You want to do a direct rollover, where the funds are transferred directly from the 401(k) trustee to the IRA trustee and you never handle the money in between.

A direct rollover does not count as a contribution, so you aren't limited if you already contributed to the IRA, and it does not constitute a withdrawal as long as it is direct rollover and all the money you take out of plan A makes it into plan B within 60 days. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies