Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PRUDENTIAL cannot provide my 1099R for my retirement annuity. I need to know how much penalty I will pay in addition to the taxes!!

I could not get on their website to get my 1099 form. I need to know what my penalty will be
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

PRUDENTIAL cannot provide my 1099R for my retirement annuity. I need to know how much penalty I will pay in addition to the taxes!!

"could not get on their website...."  is not the same thing as "Prudential cannot provide my 1099R.."   What other steps have you taken to get the 1099R?   Have you called them?  Emailed them?   Tried to contact them in any way ?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The penalty for filing a tax return late is 5% per month of the amount you owe, for the first 5 months, and 0.5% per month after that.  In addition, there is interest charged on the unpaid balance, at a variable rate which is currently 8% APR (about 0.75% per month), with the exception that late payment interest is not charged in any month where you are already being charged a 5% late filing penalty.

If you don't owe tax, there is no penalty for filing late.

If you really can't get a 1099-R, you can file with a substitute 1099-R that reports the payments and tax withholding from your own financial records.  However, it sounds like to just need to call Prudential and get them to mail you a copy.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies