Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Pension Rollover

I did a direct rollover of my old state pension to a traditional IRA. The pension had pre and post tax contributions. They said they could only issue one check but did give me the breakdown between the two amounts. Will I be able to reduce my taxable income by the $4,000 in post tax contributions because it was rolled over into a traditional IRA?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Pension Rollover

No it's not going to reduce your income for 2024.  It is not a new contribution to the IRA.  It will reduce your income when you take a distribution from the IRA.  The distribution will be prorated between pre-tax and post tax amounts.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Pension Rollover

Well none of the rollover will be taxable.  So that's good and not a problem.  But the post tax amount needs to be kept separate.  I'm not sure how that should work.  I'll page @dmertz 

Did they take any tax withholding out of it?  

Pension Rollover

There were no withholdings. I figured it wouldn't be taxed as the whole amount went to a traditional rollover IRA. I'm just not sure what the effect is of the post tax amount going into a pre tax account. I was hoping it would reduce my taxable income when I file my 2024 taxes.

Pension Rollover

No it's not going to reduce your income for 2024.  It is not a new contribution to the IRA.  It will reduce your income when you take a distribution from the IRA.  The distribution will be prorated between pre-tax and post tax amounts.  

dmertz
Level 15

Pension Rollover

The post tax portion rolled over to the traditional IRA has become basis in nondeductible traditional IRA contributions.  When you eventually take a distribution from your traditional IRAs or otherwise be required to file Form 8606, you'll need to include this basis on Form 8606 line 2 with an explanation that this is basis rolled over from the 401(k).  TurboTax allows you to make this entry by clicking the EasyGuide button when making entries related to your traditional IRA contributions and distributions.

Pension Rollover

Thank you both for your assistance!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies