Solved: Pension retirement exclusion: can i get info re nj retirement/pension exclusion?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pension retirement exclusion: can i get info re nj retirement/pension exclusion?

where can I find info on the NJ pension exclusion?   Number 28a on the NJ tax return.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 4

Pension retirement exclusion: can i get info re nj retirement/pension exclusion?

The retirement income exclusion is available to taxpayers with $100,000 or less in gross income who are 62 or older or (blind or disabled). The exclusion is being increased over a four-year period. Please view the New Jersey link below for more information.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Level 4

The retirement income exclusion is available to taxpayers with $100,000 or less in gross income who are 62 or older or (blind or disabled). The exclusion is being increased over a four-year period. Please view the New Jersey link below for more information.

View solution in original post

I tried researching this online and got inaccurate information. When I called the TurboTax help line, Tom, the very helpful agent directed me to the following website:

http://state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit7.shtml

The exclusion is only if you make less than $100,000. however, the exclusions vary according to your tax filing status and the year which is being filed. I had read online that the exclusion went up to $80,000. for tax year 2019. However, this is for married couples. As I am single, my exclusion is only $60,000.  If you look at the website above, the table clearly delineates what exclusion you are entitled to year-by-year. It increases again for tax year 2020.

I hope this saves some people from the confusion which might be caused, as it was for me, by inaccurate website postings.

Good Luck everyone:-)

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings