Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SioMei
Returning Member

Pension distribution not showing up on Line 4a

I read Ron Lancaster's post and agree that's what's happening.  So should we feel comfortable with efiling the return when the pension distrib is missing from Line 4a even though 4b is correct?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
plato318
Returning Member

how do I revise the amount in line 4a?
Bamboo
Returning Member

Personally, I will wait for a fix or will file on paper. Reason? I don't want to give the IRS any reason to kick the return out and look at it. Why might they do that? Because the gross distribution amount on line 4a will not agree with the gross distribution amount filed by the payors. Think about all this logically:

WHY were lines 15a and 16a on the form (pre-2018)? So the IRS would see the gross distribution amount matched what they had from the payors, indicating that all 1099s were reported.

Why was it OK to have those two lines be zero in some cases? Because the gross distribution amount was on the form on lines 15b and 16b, so no need to put it on 15a and 16a as well.

What is happening with TT's treatment? The gross distribution amount appears NOWHERE on the 1040. So what does the IRS have to do to ensure that all 1099s are reported? Maybe have a person look it over? Write a program to bypass the matching check? Process the return, flag it, and have someone ask questions a couple of years from now? I have lots better things to do with my time than answer questions from the IRS even though my return is correct.

Whether you go with TT is your call but I'm not filing with it like that. Good luck! 

Oh and TT needs to fix this!!

SioMei
Returning Member

I called TT and they referred me to Page 30 of <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf</a> which says "Fully Taxable Pensions and Annuities - If your pension or annuity is fully taxable, enter the total pension or annuity payments (from Form(s) 1099-R, box 1) on line 4b; don’t make an entry on line 4a."  In other instructions, the IRS says to enter the full amount of all IRA and pension distribs.  That seems more logical so the matching program would not kick it out.  Who knows who's right?
Bamboo
Returning Member

@SioMei That is correct for fully taxable pensions and IRAs. The total of the gross distributions shows on line 4b and not 4a. The issue I and others are having is when one item (e.g. IRA distribution) is partially taxable but the pension is fully taxable. In that case line 4a doesn't reflect the total gross distribution and that's where a matching problem may arise.

Do not file with that discrepancy. I did exactly that and now my refund has been in limbo for a month with no clear answer coming from the IRS after 5 hours on the phone with them. Demand TT fix the issue or paper file.
tt17

Hello all - The following quote from the official IRS form 1040 Instruction book might shed some light on this enigma, because it cleared up my totally justified confusion from zero visibility to partial fog:

"If your pension or annuity is fully taxable, enter the total pension or annuity payments
  (from Form(s) 1099-R, box 1) on line 4b; don’t make an entry on line 4a."

Isn't that special?

Your congress at work.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies