oregon return

oregon return

I retired from the military after 20 years in 1990.  I received $35762 in 2020 in retired pay from the defense Finance service.  Normally when I file my state taxes I get a prompt asking fort the inclusive dates of service and if it's over a certain amount (like 20 years).  It dose not count my military retired pay as income for Oregon.  I didn't get any of that this time.

oregon return

You are correct.  OR excludes military retirement pay for service before Oct 1991.  First be sure when you enter the 1099R information you answered the follow on questions indicating a Federal Government Retirement and non-qualified plan distribution. 

Next in the OR state interview you should arrive at a page entitled "Here's income that OR handles differently".  One of the categories will be the IRA and Pension Distributions. You'll edit that category and be sure the box that reads "I received federal pension for service before Oct 1991..." is selected.

The next page you will need to "Edit" the Federal Pension that is there.  You will enter the start and stop dates for your federal service in that interview.

oregon return

Yes, good advice.  Everything worked well.

Thanks