turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Once I submit my W-2, is it possible to add my Social Security Benefits? And, will the addition increase my refund?

Last year,  I worked a temporary job while receiving SSA benefits, can I e-file my SSA 1099 forms, also? And, will it make a difference in how much my refund will be?

[attached files deleted]

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Once I submit my W-2, is it possible to add my Social Security Benefits? And, will the addition increase my refund?

Oh my goodness; be careful what you upload.   I deleted the files you attached.  From the file names it sounded like you may have posted a PDF of your actual tax return and an actual W-9 form on this public Internet forum.     Perhaps you redacted personal/sensitive info, but if you didn't, anyone viewing this forum could have seen and downloaded your files.   Luckily, it looks like only a couple of people have viewed this thread, but the forum is archived by Internet search engines, so whether it was yet, or not, there's no way to know.

In any case, in the future, for your privacy and security, please do not post any personal info in this public forum.   This is mainly a user community forum, not a direct route to TurboTax Support.

You asked:  "Once I submit my W-2, is it possible to add my Social Security Benefits?"

What tax year are you asking about?   Did you already efile a current 2017 return, and are now asking about reporting 2017 Social Security benefits?    Or are you asking about a 2016 return where you reported a W-2 last year, and are asking about reporting 2016 Social Security benefits?

Please explain your situation, and someone familiar with Social Security benefits will likely comment in this thread, but it may not be tonight.
Hal_Al
Level 15

All your income goes on your tax return; wages, interest, Retirement pay, social security benefits, home sale, etc. etc. You submit only one tax return, with all your income. The TurboTax interview will handle entering all kinds of income, including SS benefits.

Social security only becomes  taxable when added to sufficient other income. If you are otherwise required to file a tax return, you do need to enter it in Turbotax (TT). TT will determine the taxable portion.

Social security (including SSDI) becomes taxable when your income, including 1/2 your social security, reaches:

Married Filing Jointly(MFJ): $32,000

Single or head of household: $25,000

Married Filing Separately and lived with your spouse at any time during the tax year: $0

After TurboTax (TT) calculates the taxable portion of SS, it puts the total amount of SS on line 20a of form 1040 and the taxable amount on line 20b (lines 14a&b of form 1040A). TT also produces a worksheet  to show how the taxable amount is calculated. Since you only worked part time, NONE of your SS may be taxable and line 20 may be blank.

Adding SS income to your return will NOT increase your refund. If anything, it will reduce your refund. But most likely will make no difference.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies