turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tvcvtax

On my 1099-R it shows the gross distribution and then the same for taxable even though I made a QCD. Why does it not deduct the QCD?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
SamS1
Expert Alumni

On my 1099-R it shows the gross distribution and then the same for taxable even though I made a QCD. Why does it not deduct the QCD?

Depends.  You need to be at over 70 1/2 to take the Qualified Charitable Distribution deduction for your withdrawal.  If you are at least 70 1/2,   TurboTax will ask whether a portion of your withdrawal was QCD under the Uncommon Situations screen directly after you entered the 1099R information in TurboTax Online.

The 1099-R was issued correctly ... the QCD is handled on the tax return ... follow the screens in the 1099-R entry section to indicate how much of the distribution was a QCD. 

dmertz
Level 15

For those with a birthdate between July 1, 1949 and June 30, 1950, TurboTax presently (version R14.1) has a bug the prevents it from asking the necessary question regard transfer of the distribution to charity. As a workaround for this, with the CD/download version you can provide the QCD-amount information on the 1099-R in forms mode or in any version of TurboTax you can temporarily change your birthdate in TurboTax to something before July 1, 1949, edit the 1099-R form in TurboTax and answer the question asking how much was transferred to charity, then change your birthdate back in TurboTax back to your actual birthdate.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies