Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stephen68

On form SSA-1099 I have a Treasury Benefit Offset, Garnishment and or tax levy. Is there a place to enter this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC
Expert Alumni

On form SSA-1099 I have a Treasury Benefit Offset, Garnishment and or tax levy. Is there a place to enter this?

No; those amounts are not reported in TurboTax unless the offset or levy was for a deductible expense (uncommon).    If an amount is shown in that legend, either the Treasury Department applied that amount to a debt or debts owed to other Federal agencies; benefits were withheld to pay child support, alimony, or court ordered victim restitution; and/or benefits were withheld to pay debts to the IRS.   Where do I enter a 1099-R?

Section 1024 of the Tax Payer Relief Act of 1997 (Public Law 105-30) authorizes the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to levy up to 15% of each Social Security payment for overdue Federal tax debts until the tax debt is paid.

Contact the IRS at 1-800-829-7650 to discuss any appeal rights.

The Department of the Treasury (Treasury) can also withhold Social Security benefits to collect delinquent non-tax debts owed to other federal agencies under the Debt Collection Improvement Act of 1996 (Public Law 104-134). Treasury controls this activity and will contact you if you owe a non-tax debt.

If you have questions about the levy for a non-tax debt, contact Treasury at 1-800-304-3107.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies