Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

reins

On 4/5/24 I made a traditional IRA contribution for the 2023 tax year. Must I file any form with 2023 taxes as a result of this transaction?

My understanding is this contribution will be detailed on Form 5498 but not required to submit with tax return as the transaction is reported to the IRS by the bank and or broker.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

On 4/5/24 I made a traditional IRA contribution for the 2023 tax year. Must I file any form with 2023 taxes as a result of this transaction?

You only need to report the contribution to the IRA you made on 04/05/2024 on the 2023 federal tax return, assuming that you have not yet filed the 2023 tax return.

To enter, edit or delete an IRA contribution -

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
Click on Deductions and Credits
Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
Scroll down to Retirement and Investments
On Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions, click the start or update button

dmertz
Level 15

The contribution is either deductible and includible on 2023 Schedule 1 line 20, nondeductible and required to be present on 2023 Form 8606, or an excess contribution required to be present on 2023 Form 5329.  So it should be somewhere  on your 2023 tax return unless it's a deductible contribution that you choose not to deduct (which wouldn't make much sense).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies