turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mweinstein
Returning Member

Can I file electronically with TurboTax if we have 2 5498-SA forms, one for me and one for my spouse with distributions for each of us?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
mweinstein
Returning Member

Can I file electronically with TurboTax if we have 2 5498-SA forms, one for me and one for my spouse with distributions for each of us?

Thank you for your prompt response.  Is this a change in the TurboTax software because a couple of years ago, it would not let me file electronically.  I was told I had to print and mail it in because it could not  accommodate 2 statement forms for the controlling form 8853. In other words, both me and my spouse had to complete form 8853 and then the final controlling form would list the total distribution.
mweinstein
Returning Member

Well, I tried to file electronically and TurboTax would not let me, saying it cannot support  filing electronically because of the 2 statements needed for Form 8853.  It said I had to print  and mail in the return which I unhappily did. This is what happened to me the last time I was in this situation a couple of years ago
mweinstein
Returning Member

One last comment--I think the problem is these statements are not considered worksheets--they are required to accompany the return. I guess not too many people are in this situation and therefore the powers that be thought it was not worth  changing the tax software to accommodate it.
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Yes, nothing in your case would prevent you from e-filing.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mweinstein
Returning Member

Thank you for your prompt response.  Is this a change in the TurboTax software because a couple of years ago, it would not let me file electronically.  I was told I had to print and mail it in because it could not  accommodate 2 statement forms for the controlling form 8853. In other words, both me and my spouse had to complete form 8853 and then the final controlling form would list the total distribution.
MinhT
Expert Alumni

TurboTax will sum the two worksheets and only submit only one form 8853 to the IRS. So this should not be an obstacle for e-filing.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mweinstein
Returning Member

Ok. Thank you  very much.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies