Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NR-4 form with a distribution code of 43 (Lump Sum)

I took a lump sum distribution in Canada on my RRSP. I need to know what distribution code on the 1099-R to use. Also do I enter the taxes as federal taxes withheld on the 1099-R? Or is that done under the Foreign Income Tax Credit? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Assuming you did not take an early distribution (before you reach age 59 1/2) from your Canadian retirement account, you would use code "7" for a normal distribution on the entry screen for Form 1099-R. If it was an early distribution, you would use code "1". 

You would only enter the taxes withheld on the Form 1099-R entry if they were paid in to the IRS, which seems unlikely since it is a Canadian account. If the taxes were paid to the Canadian government, you can enter them in TurboTax as foreign taxes and you may be due a credit for foreign taxes paid:

Choose the Foreign Taxes option under Estimates and Other Taxes Paid:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Assuming you did not take an early distribution (before you reach age 59 1/2) from your Canadian retirement account, you would use code "7" for a normal distribution on the entry screen for Form 1099-R. If it was an early distribution, you would use code "1". 

You would only enter the taxes withheld on the Form 1099-R entry if they were paid in to the IRS, which seems unlikely since it is a Canadian account. If the taxes were paid to the Canadian government, you can enter them in TurboTax as foreign taxes and you may be due a credit for foreign taxes paid:

Choose the Foreign Taxes option under Estimates and Other Taxes Paid:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did exactly that except I entered it under Canadian RRSP distribution section of Tax Act which was a 1099-R form. The results were the same. Unfortunately, there was a cap on the amount of the foreign tax credit received. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies