Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

North Carolina Resident, Military Retired Veteran, and the Bailey Plan.

When I retired in 1985, I was under the Bailey Retirement Plan.  Did something happen that I didn't get the word on?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

North Carolina Resident, Military Retired Veteran, and the Bailey Plan.

@RonGenesis 

It's still there, but now they've added a Uniformed Services deduction for Military retirees who are not eligible under Bailey....you use one or the other.....NOT BOTH

As long as you still lived in NC during 2023, and are filing a NC tax return, the Bailey settlement selection is still available.

Edit that 1099-R in the Federal section, and on one of the pages AFTER the main form, there will be one that asks.."Where Is This Distribution From?".......the Bailey selection is the second one on that page.  (I'll post a picture later today).  The NC Distribution amount must be set as the $$ value from box 2a.

Note that there is now a Military (Uniformed Services) Retiree deduction for those who do not meet the Bailey qualifications.  You cannot get both.  SO, if you select the Bailey Settlement deduction, do not also select the Uniformed Services  Retirment deduction when you go thru the NC section Q&A.   It's one or the other, not both.

How it actually displays when you enter your 1099-R in the Federal section, depends on whether you are using the Desktop.....or the Onlien software:

Online looks like this:

1099R_NorCar_2021_MilitaryOnlineBailey.png

1099R_NorCar_2021_DesktopBailey.png

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies