turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shakhed

If I already filed my taxes and want to make a Roth IRA contribution for 2017, do I need to amend my 2017 taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

If I already filed my taxes and want to make a Roth IRA contribution for 2017, do I need to amend my 2017 taxes?

No you don't have to amend your 2017 tax return for a Roth IRA contribution for tax year 2017. Roth IRA contributions do not have to be entered at all on your tax return because there is no deduction, nor line entry on your tax return for them.

Some people do enter Roth IRA contributions in TurboTax to track basis but it is not required. It's also a good place to verify that you are eligible to make the contribution in the first place and check to see if you qualify for the Retirement Saver's Credit. If you were not eligible to make the contribution or do qualify for the credit, then an amendment would be in order.

If you want to keep track of your Roth IRA basis in TurboTax and have already filed, you can 'open' up your return and add it.

• Log into your account, scroll down a bit and select, 'add a state'. You aren't really adding a state, just opening up the return. 
  • Select Tax Tools, Tools, Topic Search
  • Type 'roth ira' then select GO
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies