turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pronak

457(b) plan contribution and NJ Taxes

I work in NY State Government and live in NJ. They do not have a 401K program, but do have 457(b) where I contribute. NJ is charging me tax on my contribution. Any way to avoid this tax from NJ? I am close to retirement age.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

457(b) plan contribution and NJ Taxes

NJ taxes public retirement plan contributions, health insurance, Flexible Spending, Health Savings Accounts, and more. Because its supposed to be taxed, you can't really avoid this. Everyone with a 457(b) or 403(b) is taxed for NJ purposes.
When you begin to receive distributions, they will be reported on Form 1099-R. On your NJ tax return, you will recover your contributions tax free. You will either be taxed using the Three Year Rule or the General Rule, which you will determine when you start collecting the retirement. Either way, you will not pay taxes on your contributions again.

You can see some info starting on page 4-

Whether you use General Rule or Three Year may depend on how much you will collect in comparison with your contributions, and whether your employer (aka the NJ government) also contributed.

But, no, there's nothing you can do to avoid being taxed on the contributions now. That is simply a fact of NJ taxation.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies