Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

emma

Name on Old Employer W2 Doesn't Match Social Security Card

I worked for a company from January to March of 2023. In May of 2023, I changed my middle and last name. My social security card has the updated name, but the W2 from my previous employer has my old name. Do I need to get a corrected W2 from my old employer? I'm trying to file under my updated name.
Additionally, my filing on TurboTax was rejected with error code F1040-516. Could this have anything to do with the name on my W2 not matching the name on my social security card?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Edited. The address as reported on the W-2 should be the same as the one you enter into TurboTax since it should match what the IRS has. But the name can be changed. . 

The name on your W-2 and the name on your tax return do not have to match, but the Social Security number must be the same.

The error code received is not associated with the difference on the W-2 and your tax return, it has to do with your Social Security number on your tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for error code you received - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/mobile-apps/fix-e-file-reject-f1040-516/...

emma

This page on the irs (https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/name-changes-social-security-number-matching-issues#:~:text=....) website says I can change the name on my W2. In TurboTax, does that mean I can enter my name the way my social security card has it, even though the W2 is different?

Yes, you can change your name. If address is different use the address on your W-2. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies