My wife is a public school employee and is in pers 2 retirement plan.Can she also make a tax deductible contribution to a traditional ira?

She can as long as your total income does not exceed the limits (which are lower when you have a plan at work).

The easiest thing to do in TurboTax is to enter an IRA contribution for 2018 tax year (which can be paid by April 15, 2019) and you will see 1) can you deduct it and 2) the tax impact it will have if you do fund it.

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
Click on Deductions and Credits
Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
Under Retirement and Investments
On Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions click on the start or update button

Click on Deductions and Credits
Under Retirement and Investments

thank you