Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

saibari

My state distribution box is blank on my 1099-R, but shouldn't it be the same as the amount in box 2a?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

My state distribution box is blank on my 1099-R, but shouldn't it be the same as the amount in box 2a?

State income tax returns typically begin from federal taxable income and make adjustments for items taxed differently by the state, so your retirement distribution will be picked up by the state return and given the appropriate tax treatment, notwithstanding the blank box on your Form 1099-R.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

box 14?  on paper many times yes....but in the software, as as long as 2a is not blank, box 2a may be  used to fill in box 14...but that depends on what state is involved.  NC back-fills box 14 with the box 2a value as you run thru the full 1099-R interview.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
saibari

Thanks. I found that even if I leave the box blank (as on the form I received), the state tax-program handles it the same way.
MichaelMc

State income tax returns typically begin from federal taxable income and make adjustments for items taxed differently by the state, so your retirement distribution will be picked up by the state return and given the appropriate tax treatment, notwithstanding the blank box on your Form 1099-R.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies