Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kjmullinz

My mom is retired senior in AL. She gets survivor's benefit from SSA. She has CD accts. at her bank that draw interest. Whats the bank interest amount required to file?

Hello, I'm my mother's caretaker, and I had a question about if she is required to file taxes this year or not. 

She lives in Alabama, and is a retired senior in her 70's head of her household, and gets a survivor's benefit from the social security center, but was already told years ago that her social security benefits doesn't need to be claimed. 

However, she has saved up money over the years and has opened CD accounts at her credit union to draw some higher interest. Her interest for last year was higher than the previous year so my main question is...  

With her being a retired senior, does she have to file taxes based on her bank interest income?  

If so, how much Bank interest needs to be made in order for her to be required to file? 

Just let me know, thanks.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

My mom is retired senior in AL. She gets survivor's benefit from SSA. She has CD accts. at her bank that draw interest. Whats the bank interest amount required to file?

OK

1)  She is not considered Head of Houshold unless she has an actual dependent she is taking care of....and that sounds unlikely.  HOH is a special designation for Diviorced/Separated people with dependents.

2)  IF she hasn't remarried, and is now single, then once all her other income , plus half her gross SS, reaches $25,000, then she is required to file a Federal tax return  (I don't know AL minimums). 

That other income would include the CD interest credited to her account during the year, other bank account interest 50cents or higher, other investment income...(or any other pension $$ she might receive that you haven't mentioned)

OF course, if she is having any Federal taxes withheld from her SS benefits, she won't get them refunded unless she files her Federal taxes...even if not strictly required to file.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies