Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kgmcgee2

My Louisiana state pension is state tax exempt per La. Revised Statute 11:1526 but Turbotax is still showing I owe state tax. How does that get fixed?

There is no option on the section where I enter 1099-R forms to show that benefit as state tax exempt.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

My Louisiana state pension is state tax exempt per La. Revised Statute 11:1526 but Turbotax is still showing I owe state tax. How does that get fixed?

Go back and edit that 1099-R form in the Federal section again.

On a page AFTER the main form (with all the boxes) there is a page asking where the distribution was from, with a list of various state/federal providers.  One of those pension types needs to be selected.

AND...the state distribution on that page is NOT a zero.  That needs to be the value of box 2a, as long as 2a has a non-zero $$ value in it.   IF 2a is empty, or "undetermined" then the State distribution is the same as the Federally-taxable amount of box 1...which is usually just the box 1 value.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies