Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My joint income is under $250k. Why is Form 8959 being added to my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ToddL

As you are aware, Form 8959 is used to calculate any Additional Medicare Tax you may owe. It is also used to determine IF you owe an Additional Medicare Tax. 

The program may very well be generating this form as a check to confirm you don't owe the tax. 

You must file Form 8959 if your income exceeds the prescribed threshold for your filing status; even if your income does not exceed the prescribed threshold for your filing status, you still may file Form 8959. 

As long as there isn't an Additional Medicare Tax added to your return, the Form 8959 can be prepared and filed with your return. You can check to see if that is the case by using the "Preview My 1040" feature. However, you can preview the Form 1040 by clicking on Tax Tools in the left margin of the online program screen.  Click on Tools.  Click on View Tax Summary.  Click on Preview my 1040.  Check Line 62 of Form 1040 for Net Investment Income Tax (NIIT) or Additional Medicare Tax.

(If you don't need and don't want Form 8959 in your return, remove it with Delete Form (TurboTax Online).

My income is well below the threshold for this and TurboTax won't let me delete form 8959. Bogus, dishonest way to try and charge naive people for plus.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies