Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

por636363

My income total was added incorrectly...The form continues to drop my SS monies...and only indicates my withdrawl from my retirement account.

The "My Income" is correct...however, when I review before filing,  the SS monies in not there.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

My income total was added incorrectly...The form continues to drop my SS monies...and only indicates my withdrawl from my retirement account.

It could be because your social security is not taxable.  If your Modified Adjusted Gross income (MAGI) is below the base amount for your filing status ($32,000 for Married Filing Jointly or $25,000 for all others), your Social Security is not taxable.  Once your MAGI exceeds the base amount for your filing status at least part of your Social Security income becomes taxable.  For more information see the following TurboTax Help Article:  Is my Social Security income taxable?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Did you enter your Social Security benefits as reported on the SSA-1099 in the correct section of the TurboTax program?

To enter Social Security benefits reported on form SSA-1099

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
On Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099), click the start or update button

If you did, the SS income may not be taxable.

Up to 85% of Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security reaches:

• Married Filing Jointly - $32,000
  • Single or Head of Household - $25,000
  • Married Filing Separately - 0

You can check the SS benefits and the taxable amount, if any, on your federal tax return.  Look at Form 1040 on line 6a for the SS benefits reported and on line 6b for the taxable amount of SS benefits, if any.

You can view your Form 1040 plus Schedules 1, 2 and 3 at any time using the online editions. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies