Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband is on unemployment When I enter a $3k traditional IRA cont I get a message that his MAGI is too high but it's showing the total of both of our incomes.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
SamS1
Expert Alumni

My husband is on unemployment When I enter a $3k traditional IRA cont I get a message that his MAGI is too high but it's showing the total of both of our incomes.

It sounds like you might have some of your income indicate in TurboTax that it is his.  Review your 1099R and W2 input to insure the correct taxpayers are indicated on the correct forms.  Additionally, did you indicate on both yours and his W-2s you were cover by a retirement plan at work?  Review box 13 on your W2s.  That would place the maximum income level for a fully deductible IRA contribution at $104,000 with complete phase out at $124,000.  However if all he had was unemployment in 2020 and no wages, you should be able to claim the deduction.

dmertz
Level 15

There is only one MAGI on a tax return.  On a joint tax return, it's the combined income of both spouses.

Thank you for your reply.  He had a 401k for the first 3 months of 2020.  Is there any way for Turbo Tax to know this?

dmertz
Level 15

The fact that he only participated in the 401(k) plan for 3 months is irrelevant, so there is no need for TurboTax to know that.  Being covered by a workplace retirement plan at any time during the year makes him covered for the year.

Seems very unfair, but such is life I guess.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies