Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Toti615

My consulting business income is $3,500. I should be able to contribute $3,500 to Roth IRA. But Turbo Tax online insists I can only contribute $3,253; why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My consulting business income is $3,500. I should be able to contribute $3,500 to Roth IRA. But Turbo Tax online insists I can only contribute $3,253; why?

You have to subtract out the deductible half of the self employment tax from the net profit on Schedule C.  It’s the amount on 1040 line 27.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You have to subtract out the deductible half of the self employment tax from the net profit on Schedule C.  It’s the amount on 1040 line 27.

Found my longer answer.  For an IRA contribution.  If you only have self-employment income you can only contribute up to your net profit reduced by the deduction allowed for one-half of your self-employment taxes.  See IRS publication 590 <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590a.pdf">http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590a.pdf</a>

So check 1040 line 27.  You have to deduct that amount from your Schedule C Net Profit.  That will give you the allowed contribution for the 1099Misc income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies