Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

grmack59

My company split/merged to a new company and my 401k rolled to a new 401k. I then rolled the 401k to a IRA. Turbo shows a double income. Is this creating a tax problem?

The income screen shows both roll overs as income, greatly inflating what I actually made, as neither of these were taxable events, all just roll overs (401k to 401k to traditional IRA). None of it was actual income.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

My company split/merged to a new company and my 401k rolled to a new 401k. I then rolled the 401k to a IRA. Turbo shows a double income. Is this creating a tax problem?

In the income summary screen of TurboTax, the 2 rollovers will show as Gross Income, but NOT as Taxable income as the rollovers are not taxable.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

In the income summary screen of TurboTax, the 2 rollovers will show as Gross Income, but NOT as Taxable income as the rollovers are not taxable.

grmack59

Will these show as income on the actual tax filings? And why show the amount as double (or triple or more)? Same dollar amount rolled 3 or 4 times makes it look like I'm a millionaire when it's really just one amount counted 3 or 4 times!
MinhT
Expert Alumni

The gross income from the rollovers will show on your form  on line 4a, but line 4b which is taxable part will be zero. This is quite usual and is not a flag at all for the IRS.
grmack59

I understand showing one roll over, but 2 or more seems very strange, as it's the same money being counted multiple times...but I guess tax law is strange! Thank you...

If you are looking at a summary screen or review screen those show the full amount as income and lump a lot of stuff together. You need to check the actual 1040 and make sure it’s right.   For 1099R check 1040 line 4b for any taxable amount.  If it was a rollover it should say ROLLOVER by it.
grmack59

Will do, and thanks...
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies