turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tanliv

My box 13 has retirement checked and box 14 has 2 different amounts of dollars How should I enter that in Box 14 in the system Reads CAF 239.68 and TRS 641.60

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MichaelDC

My box 13 has retirement checked and box 14 has 2 different amounts of dollars How should I enter that in Box 14 in the system Reads CAF 239.68 and TRS 641.60

CAF refers to a "cafeteria plan" or section 125 plan. This is an employer benefit that lets you choose between several tax-deferred benefits, if they are qualified, from your employer.  

TRS is listed in Box 14 for informational purposes only. You can add it in and choose Other, or not enter it. Either option is the same.  These contributions are post-tax and don't impact your tax return in any way.

Employers can put just about anything in box 14; it's a catch-all for items that don't have their own dedicated box on the W-2.

In TurboTax, enter the description from your W-2's box 14 on the first field in the row. Enter the dollar amount and select the correct tax category that goes with that description.

If none of the categories apply, scroll to the bottom of the list and choose Other–not on above list. Don’t worry. We'll figure out if it impacts your return or not. If we need more information, we'll ask you later in the interview.

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies