turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

arjay36

My 1099R, box 7 indicates a code "F" for an RMD distribution directly to a charitable organization. TurboTax does not want to accept this. Why not?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
LisaBr

My 1099R, box 7 indicates a code "F" for an RMD distribution directly to a charitable organization. TurboTax does not want to accept this. Why not?

After you enter the 1099-R for the RMD, you will be prompted with questions regarding what you did with the money.

After claiming the distribution as a RMD, a question asks about contributing to the Charity and you can answer YES.  If these questions are answered correctly, the distribution code of F should be accepted.  If this does not correct the error, please let me know so that I can assist you further.

There is no place or need to record who the donation is made to, however there is a reminder not to include this amount in your Deductions for Charitable Donations.

The following IRS link discusses QCD-Qualified Charitable Donations:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf

dmertz
Level 15

Code F is not for a distribution paid directly to charity.  Code F indicates a payment to YOU from a charitable gift annuity.  A charitable gift annuity is not an IRA.

You are not permitted to change the code from what the payer provided on the Form 1099-R.  Does the Form 1099-R provided to you by the payer have code F in box 7?  I suspect not.

If you had a distribution paid to charity as a QCD from an IRA, the Form 1099-R provided by the payer should have code 7 in box 7 and have the IRA/SEP/SIMPE box marked.  You must enter it this way into TurboTax.  TurboTaxLisaBr's answer describes how answer the follow-up questions to entering this Form 1099-R.
arjay36

DELETED ENTRY AND REENTERED IT FOLLOWING THE ORIGINAL GUIDE LINES.  EVERYTHING WORKED AS STATED. THANK YOU

There is no prompt  that asks me if this money  was a charitable distribution to a charity which it was

It still does not take this a QCD

dmertz
Level 15

Take what as a QCD?  Code F on a Form 1099-R has nothing to do with a QCD or an IRA.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies