Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 1099-R has gross distribution in box 1, and taxable amt in box 2a. Looking on the income summary page of Turbotax deluxe, it only shows the gross amt from box 1.

I have filled in the amounts from both boxes 1 and 2a in the income section (Pension plan), yet only the gross amount, not the taxable amount shows up on the Income Summary page.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

My 1099-R has gross distribution in box 1, and taxable amt in box 2a. Looking on the income summary page of Turbotax deluxe, it only shows the gross amt from box 1.

The program will do that as the gross amount is used for some computations.  Only the taxable amount will be reflected in your return and be added to the taxable income.

You can check this in your program by going to the top and clicking on View, then the drop-down "Go to Forms" and look at the actual 1040 lines 15b and 16b.

komaravo1

Hi, 

I am similar question.  My 1099-R has amount filled in box 2a. It is not showing in 1040 line15b/16B. I have small amount of after-tax 401k contribution which is filled in box 5 and employer considered small amount as taxable in box a when i rollver these funds to roth ira after my retirement. 

I am using Turbo tax Premier 2023 desktop version. 

Can you please let me know where will see this and how it will be handled? Since I filed do i need to do amendment?

For 2023 the taxable amount is on line 4b or 5b.  Did you look there?  Pension & 401K goes on line 5. Switch to Forms Mode and open the 1040.  What code is in box 7 on the 1099R?  If you converted to a ROTH IRA it should be taxable except for the after tax contributions.  You might need to enter it as two 1099R.  @dmertz 

dmertz
Level 15

If the entire distribution went to a Roth IRA, only the original Form 1099-R needs to be entered, and entered as received.  I would expect that the taxable amount in box 2a would be the amount in box 1 minus the amount in box 5.  The amount from box 1 would be included on Form 1040 line 5a but only the taxable amount from box 2a would be on line 5b.  The "ROLLOVER" notation should also be present next to line 5b.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies