Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

samoroy

Mom has retirement income over $5500. She is a resident at Marion Manor. Her Genworth LTC benefits ( required 2 ADL for benefits) have been depleted after about 3 years.

Mom has retirement income over $5500. She is a resident at Marion Manor. Her Genworth LTC benefits ( required 2 ADL for benefits) have been depleted after about 3 years. Now we are paying for her LTC out of pocket. I am thinking that under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 definitions, she requires by prescription 2 activities of daily living, that her expenses paid by her (deduction for her) and the rest by me would be deductible for me.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Fern

Mom has retirement income over $5500. She is a resident at Marion Manor. Her Genworth LTC benefits ( required 2 ADL for benefits) have been depleted after about 3 years.

You can deduct your parent's medical expenses even if she does not meet the income requirement to be claimed as your dependent as long as you provide more that half of their support.

You should also consider if you can claim your mother as a dependent. Her income cannot be more than $4,050, but generally social security is not included in that calculation.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Fern

You can deduct your parent's medical expenses even if she does not meet the income requirement to be claimed as your dependent as long as you provide more that half of their support.

You should also consider if you can claim your mother as a dependent. Her income cannot be more than $4,050, but generally social security is not included in that calculation.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies