Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Missed deadline…attach Letter for IRS?

Went through a divorce, couldn’t file my 2022 tax till now. 

now I am ready to file, found out I will own about $5000 in taxes. I have to print and mail my tax every year due to QBI and some stuff.

my tax is high risk for audit - have several businesses and income is over 0.5 million.

So when I mail in  my 2022 return , should I attached a letter at the front, saying some thing like “dear irs personal…sorry to just file 2022 tax now..we were late since we were struggling with a divorce and did t have the time or energy to file…blah…”

do you think  such letter will get some empathy and reduce the risk of auditing?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Any such letter will be ignored. 

No, do not attach a letter.  The IRS is not going to have sympathy for your divorce.   If you are late in filing and owe tax due, you are subject to late filing penalties and interest.  TurboTax will not calculate that.  When the IRS receives your return with your payment of the amount due as shown on your return (line 37) they will bill you for the additional amount.    

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies