turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Maximizing contributions to Corporate 401k and Individual 401k

Hello.

I have W2 income and a 401k through work that is maxed out for 2018.  This includes the 18,500 from my personal deferral and the remainder of 56k through employer profit sharing.

I also had about 20k in 1099 profit with which I have an individual 401k.  I assume I cannot defer another 18,500 as an elective deferral, but I assume that I can defer another 4k as employer contribution based on the 20% limit.

However, Turbotax is saying that I can defer pretty much the entire 20k into the individual 401k.  It's as if it is not aware that I already deferred the max 18,500 through my W2 employer account.

Am I correct in thinking that I cannot electively defer any more (beyond 18,500) or is Turbotax correct in that I can since the income is 1099 income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

This is a calculation that TurboTax is incapable of handling directly.  Since you've already maxed out your elective deferral at your W-2 employer, you can cause TurboTax to calculate only the employer contribution you can make to your individual IRA by marking the Maximize box for a SEP-IRA contribution or a Profit Sharing Keogh contribution instead of making any entries on the Individual 401(k) page.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

This is a calculation that TurboTax is incapable of handling directly.  Since you've already maxed out your elective deferral at your W-2 employer, you can cause TurboTax to calculate only the employer contribution you can make to your individual IRA by marking the Maximize box for a SEP-IRA contribution or a Profit Sharing Keogh contribution instead of making any entries on the Individual 401(k) page.

I guess I will just allow TT to make the calculation on the SEP line and then contribute what it says to the individual 401k as the employer contribution.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies