turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Maryland Taxes and Social Security

While completed my taxes, I was getting a refund from Maryland.  As soon as I entered my Social Security Income I all of a sudden owed a large amount for Maryland.  I thought Maryland did not tax Social Security income.  Am I missing something here?

Thank You

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Maryland does not tax social security, even if it is taxed on your federal return. Maryland does, however, have a pension exclusion "deduction" that considers how much social security you receive.  If you have a pension other than social security, when you entered your social security the amount of pension taxed would have increased by the same amount.

If your social security (SSA-1099) was properly entered in TurboTax, and any portion is shown as taxable (line 5b of Form 1040), check the "subtractions" on your Maryland return.  You should see any federally taxable social security deducted there.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

What you are likely missing is that the maximum amount of pension income allowed to be excluded from Maryland income for 2019 is $31,100 minus your Social Security income and when you entered the Social Security income, your pension exclusion dropped.  That makes it appear as if part of your Social Security income is taxed, when in fact it's pension income being taxed that otherwise would not be taxed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies