Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Married Only 1 Employer 401k

Hi all,

I am married and have a 401k sponsored by my employer, however my wife does not. Does it make sense tax wise for me to just take a hit on my paychecks and double up on putting away savings into my 401k then? We make just a little bit too much to be able to use IRA's from my understanding.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

By reducing your taxable income you may be able to lower your AGI enough to make a deductible IRA contribution.   If not the worse thing is you have contributed more to your retirement thru the 401K.  If the employer has a ROTH 401K option you may want to look at that option instead ... seek council from a local financial planner who has income tax knowledge to plan ahead properly.

If you have money that you can afford to put away in savings, the most important thing is to save it anywhere.  Your employer may be able to do an automatic withdrawal from your paycheck to put money into a savings account. Or you could open a self-directed brokerage account. I would say that using some kind of tax deferred savings method is better in the long run, but that might not be the case for everyone.

If you want to have assets in your spouse‘s name, you may be able to contribute money to a Roth IRA in her name from your earned income. The income limits to contribute to a Roth IRA are higher than the limits to contribute to a traditional IRA.  You don’t get an immediate tax deduction, but when you retire, your withdrawals are tax free forever.

If you increase your 401(k) savings, you can’t touch that money until retirement, but Since it is pre-tax, you can invest $125 and your take-home pay only drops by $100.  

Or, take the $100 and invest in a Roth IRA in your name or in your spouse‘s name.  With a Roth IRA, your principal could lose value in a down market, but you will likely have a higher long-term return than a savings account. You can withdraw your Roth contributions at any time without paying additional tax, even though you can’t withdraw the earnings until retirement unless you pay a penalty. This gives you some ability to access your money before retirement for emergencies.

Or, take the $100 and open a brokerage account and invest in a broadly diversified mutual fund. You have the risk of loss in a down year, but your long-term growth rate will exceed any savings account, and the account is completely liquid and you can withdraw the money to spend it at any time. You will pay a little tax every year on capital gains and dividends, but when you withdraw the money, you will only pay additional taxes on the gains and not the original principle you deposited.

Or, take the $100 and invest it in a savings account.  There are several online savings accounts that pay higher interest rates than your local bank, although the rate is still only around 1%. The principle is guaranteed and you can access your money at any time.  

The most important thing is that if you do have money in your take-home pay that you don’t need to spend on a weekly basis and could afford to save someplace, save it anyplace.

If you are eligible for matching contributions from the 401(k) and you have not maximized that yet, that should certainly be your first move for retirement savings. You shouldn’t leave free money on the table.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies