Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Line 6 on 1040 is 0 should be 12,598 but I cannot find a way to correct. TurboTax will not allow e-file

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Line 6 on 1040 is 0 should be 12,598 but I cannot find a way to correct. TurboTax will not allow e-file

You didn't say whether you have any wages on line 1. I assume you did not.

A rollover is not taxable income, so it does not go on line 4b or get added in to line 6. It is correct for line 4b to be blank.

Line 5a is your Social Security benefits. Since you have no other taxable income, none of your Social Security is taxable, so it is correct for line 5b to be blank.

Lines 4a and 5a do not get added in to line 6. Only lines 1, 2b, 3b, 4b, and 5b get added in to line 6. Since you have nothing on lines 1, 2b, 3b, 4b, or 5b, it is correct for line 6 to be zero.

The IRS does not allow a tax return with zero income to be e-filed. If you want to e-file, add $1 of interest income to your tax return. Then your income will not be zero and you will be able to e-file. You will not owe any tax on the $1 of income.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Form 1040 line 6 is the sum of lines 1 through 5, plus Schedule 1 line 22. You can't just change line 6. You have to change the amounts that are added into it. What are the amounts on lines 1, 2b, 3b, 4b, and 5b, and on Schedule 1 line 22? If those are all zero (or blank) you have to figure out why your income is not appearing. What kind of income is the $12,598? Is it all from one source, or is it the sum of multiple sources of income? Does the income appear on line 2a, 3a, 4a, or 5a, but not on the corresponding "b" line?

turbotax entered the correct amounts on lines 4a and 5a, but entered 0 on line 6. I
I did not have income for 2a or 3a. 4a has ROLLOVER added, which is what 4a was. Turbotax did not add the 4a and 5a amounts.

So far, line 6 is still a zero...only the b column adds into line 6.  

From what you entered so far, none of line 5a goes into 5b, and the rollover for 4a doesn't go into 4b either..

2b an 3b would add in to 6 too, if you had any interest or dividends. You might not have had any dividends (3b), but you certainly could have had interest 2b.

....all the 1 , 2b, 3b, & 4b values, plus 2a are used to determine what portion of 5a gets into 5b....but so far you are waaaay short of having any of your SS being taxable and showing up in 5b.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You didn't say whether you have any wages on line 1. I assume you did not.

A rollover is not taxable income, so it does not go on line 4b or get added in to line 6. It is correct for line 4b to be blank.

Line 5a is your Social Security benefits. Since you have no other taxable income, none of your Social Security is taxable, so it is correct for line 5b to be blank.

Lines 4a and 5a do not get added in to line 6. Only lines 1, 2b, 3b, 4b, and 5b get added in to line 6. Since you have nothing on lines 1, 2b, 3b, 4b, or 5b, it is correct for line 6 to be zero.

The IRS does not allow a tax return with zero income to be e-filed. If you want to e-file, add $1 of interest income to your tax return. Then your income will not be zero and you will be able to e-file. You will not owe any tax on the $1 of income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies