turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dwauxier

K1's and Roth IRA's

I'm a partner in a family business which is a S Corporation and also a partner with my brothers in a LLP. Both of which I receive a K-1. My wife recently left a nursing job after 10 years due to the hospital closing down. She has a small 401k that we are looking at rolling into an IRA and then a Roth IRA. When looking at the maximum contribution for the Roth IRA as a couple, it appears to be $7000 if we earn less than $199,000.00. Between the two of us our w-2's  come well below that. But if I add in my dividends from the S corporation, we exceed that amount. Where I'm confused is. I receive K-1's from both the S corp. and the LLP. The S corp is the only one I receive a dividend from. It appears that S corp dividends don't count towards the income cap for funding my wife's Roth IRA. I don't and haven't received any dividends from the LLP. So I'm not sure whither we can fund the Roth or not??? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

K1's and Roth IRA's

you are doing a backdoor Roth conversion

read this article.

https://www.rothira.com/what-is-a-backdoor-roth-ira

dmertz
Level 15

K1's and Roth IRA's

The phase-out range for a Roth IRA contribution for 2019 for someone filing jointly begins at a modified AGI of $193,000 and goes through $203,000.  Modified AGI for this purpose includes all of your taxable income, not just earned income (except for certain uncommon items), so it includes your taxable dividends from the S corp and the the taxable income from the LLP.  Because your modified AGI is more than $203,000, neither you nor your wife is permitted to make a regular Roth IRA contribution for 2019.

HACKITOFF is suggesting the possibility of making contributions to a traditional IRA instead, then doing a Roth conversion, instead of making contributing regular contributions to Roth IRAs.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies