Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a tax break for me, if I cashed out my retirement account since I was unemployed and remained unemployed for the rest of the year?

I was in the middle of changing jobs and in good faith gave notice that I was going to leave the company. The company took it as my resignation and let me go. This happened in August and I remained unemployed the rest of the year. I took a full distribution of my IRA and Roth IRA which was under 20K to help me stay afloat until the new job began. (Which still hasn't). Is this a hardship? Are there any tax breaks or 10% penalty exception?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Is there a tax break for me, if I cashed out my retirement account since I was unemployed and remained unemployed for the rest of the year?

EXCEPTIONS TO EARLY WITHDRAWAL PENALTY

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-exceptions-to-tax-o...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Note that if you had to pay for medical insurance while unemployed, then the 10% penalty will not apply to that amount.

Does it look like any other exceptions might apply to you?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies