Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is my taxable income lowered by the amount I contribute to my traditional IRA? I'm deciding whether or not to make a prior year contribution.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is my taxable income lowered by the amount I contribute to my traditional IRA? I'm deciding whether or not to make a prior year contribution.

Yes, as long as you are below the overall limits for contributing to a Traditional IRA, it will reduce your taxable income and tax on the return.

The best and most accurate way to do this is put an entry in for the 2017 TurboTax program and then after you decide how much to contribute you can file your return today and then make the contribution for the 2017 tax year by the due date of 4-17-2107.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, as long as you are below the overall limits for contributing to a Traditional IRA, it will reduce your taxable income and tax on the return.

The best and most accurate way to do this is put an entry in for the 2017 TurboTax program and then after you decide how much to contribute you can file your return today and then make the contribution for the 2017 tax year by the due date of 4-17-2107.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies