Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bench350

Is my Nonqualified Deferred Compensation under code 409 to be listed as a 457 pension?

How will TurboTax know that I paid all SS tax and Medicare upfront in 2016 when I retired, although compensation is paid over 20 years? I don't see any check or indication on my W2 indicating it is a retirement plan but I know it is a NQDC set up under code 409 as a Top-Hat Plan.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanO

Is my Nonqualified Deferred Compensation under code 409 to be listed as a 457 pension?

This is not a 457b pension, that would be a Deferred Compensation plan

A Non-qualified Deferred Compensation is generally taken into account as wages for FICA (SS and Medicare) purposes at the time when the services giving rise to the compensation are performed, at which time employers are required to withhold and remit the FICA taxes which has happened in your case.

So everything was set up properly for you to receive your compensation over a period of time with only the income tax due. When you receive you W-2 there should not be any withholding indicated in box 4 and 6.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanO

This is not a 457b pension, that would be a Deferred Compensation plan

A Non-qualified Deferred Compensation is generally taken into account as wages for FICA (SS and Medicare) purposes at the time when the services giving rise to the compensation are performed, at which time employers are required to withhold and remit the FICA taxes which has happened in your case.

So everything was set up properly for you to receive your compensation over a period of time with only the income tax due. When you receive you W-2 there should not be any withholding indicated in box 4 and 6.

So why is TurboTax calculating additional medicare tax?

JulieS
Expert Alumni

If TurboTax is calculating additional Medicare tax, it is based on your income level and filing status.

There is an additional Medicare tax on wages and self-employment earnings for those who exceed these thresholds.

• Married filing jointly - $250,000
  • Married filing separate - $125,000
  • Single - $200,000
  • Head of household (with qualifying person) - $200,000
  • Qualifying widow(er) with dependent child - $200,000

Click here for more information on this topic.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies