Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

britehopes
Returning Member

Is it possible to attach a scanned copy of a 1099R to the online form?

My father passed and I received a distribution from the revocable living trust.  Because the 1099R shows as paid to the trust but the distribution was to me and my sister, there is a disconnect between the 1099R and where the income needs to be reported.  
To avoid confusion at the IRS, attaching a scanned copy of that 1099R would be helpful.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Because the the name was issued in the name of the trust, you would need to file a 1041 trust return. From the trust return, K-1's will be issued to you and your sister to report in your own individual tax returns.

You would need to purchase Business software to file a Form 1041 as this is unavailable for personal returns. Turbo Tax Business has an online platform but it is a bit pricey. You can explore this option here. Turbo Tax also offers a download software to be installed on your computer. You can view that here

Attaching a copy of a 1099R with your personal tax return will not solve your issue. It may take the IRS time to respond back to you but they will inform you that a 1041 form needs to be filed. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
britehopes
Returning Member

I have done the 1041 but a revocable living trust is a grantor trust.  It is a decedent estate and the initial and final Form 1041.  According to the instructions, I  just add an attachment showing how the income was distributed.  Then the beneficiaries (my sister and me) enter the distribution information in our personal returns.  I have to file a paper return because my SSN is currently locked (SSA screw up in 2022 still having it's effects) so attaching a copy of the 1099R in question isn't an issue.  But my sister is filing online and it would be helpful if she could attach a scanned copy of the 1099R in question to her return.  We would like to avoid as many dealings with the IRS as possible as the amount is a pittance!

So is it or is it not possible to attach a document to an online tax return?

@britehopes wrote:

I have done the 1041 but a revocable living trust is a grantor trust.  It is a decedent estate and the initial and final Form 1041.  According to the instructions, I  just add an attachment showing how the income was distributed.  Then the beneficiaries (my sister and me) enter the distribution information in our personal returns.  I have to file a paper return because my SSN is currently locked (SSA screw up in 2022 still having it's effects) so attaching a copy of the 1099R in question isn't an issue.  But my sister is filing online and it would be helpful if she could attach a scanned copy of the 1099R in question to her return.  We would like to avoid as many dealings with the IRS as possible as the amount is a pittance!

So is it or is it not possible to attach a document to an online tax return?

I can't address whether it is required in this situation because I haven't worked with this issue.  But Turbotax has made a policy decision that they do not allow attachments for e-filing, even though the IRS allows them in some situations.  I have heard there are other tax software programs that do allow attachments (I don't know which ones and I don't endorse any specific product).  Or, use a professional this year, or file by mail.  

M-MTax
Level 10

I have done the 1041 but a revocable living trust is a grantor trust.  It is a decedent estate and the initial and final Form 1041.  According to the instructions

OK, which one is it? An estate or a trust? A revocable living trust is NOT a grantor trust after it becomes irrevocable due to the death of the grantor.......a 1041 needs to be filed with K-1s issued. Likewise with the estate.....you need to file a 1041 and issue K-1s to the benes. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies