Retirement tax questions

@britehopes wrote:

I have done the 1041 but a revocable living trust is a grantor trust.  It is a decedent estate and the initial and final Form 1041.  According to the instructions, I  just add an attachment showing how the income was distributed.  Then the beneficiaries (my sister and me) enter the distribution information in our personal returns.  I have to file a paper return because my SSN is currently locked (SSA screw up in 2022 still having it's effects) so attaching a copy of the 1099R in question isn't an issue.  But my sister is filing online and it would be helpful if she could attach a scanned copy of the 1099R in question to her return.  We would like to avoid as many dealings with the IRS as possible as the amount is a pittance!

So is it or is it not possible to attach a document to an online tax return?

I can't address whether it is required in this situation because I haven't worked with this issue.  But Turbotax has made a policy decision that they do not allow attachments for e-filing, even though the IRS allows them in some situations.  I have heard there are other tax software programs that do allow attachments (I don't know which ones and I don't endorse any specific product).  Or, use a professional this year, or file by mail.