Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AshLag

Is it just a glitch on the app that it keeps telling me to submit EIN or social security number for 1099-NEC when I have already entered social security number?

I keep trying to finish up my taxes, but it's saying I have missing information on my 1099-NEC, so I go to fill in the missing information and it says to fill in either the EIN or the social security number, but I've already filled in social security number in the earlier steps and it only has the EIN box open to fill in when it's telling me there's missing information. The person shouldn't have to have an EIN since it's an NEC I would think because they aren't an employer. I've tried deleting the information and starting fresh and manually filling everything in and everything. Nothing is working. I've tried in the app and in the browser on my phone, so I'm wondering if maybe I do it on a desktop it'll make a difference, but I'm not sure.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Is it just a glitch on the app that it keeps telling me to submit EIN or social security number for 1099-NEC when I have already entered social security number?

You need to have either a Federal ID or Social security number on your Form 1099-NEC even though you don't have any employees.  If you are a self-employed and do not have any employees, you can use your SSN.  Try to enter your SSN as the EIN. 

If it does not go smooth with the mobile app, move it to the desktop or laptop to continue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
AshLag

@LinaJ2020  Thank you for the response! The social security number is on the 1099 and I've tried entering that as the EIN, but it says it isn't an EIN :( I have it filled in where I upload the 1099 and made sure it's correct, but when I'm reviewing it, it isn't allowing me to continue and saying that I need to fill in either the EIN or the social, even though the social I have already filled in. Is it okay for me to just click "continue" until it submits, or will it throw a red flag? 

Make sure that the social security number has nine characters.  Sometimes TurboTax has had a problem when the SS number started with a zero.  Also be sure you are selecting the option that your payer's federal id number is formatted like a social security number.

If you still get this message, then use the Chrome browser and clear browsing data for all time before signing into TurboTax.

In the browser, delete the 1099-NEC and then add it again.

@AshLag

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies