Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stevevest
Returning Member

IRA rollover

I received a 1099-R ($3144.00) from Fidelity Investments.  I put $7000.00 into another Fidelity IRA account and received a Form5498 from them. Can I claim the $3100 as part of the $7000.00? The $3100 never had tax deducted prior to distribution.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

IRA rollover

I am confused by your question, you may also be confused.

You can make IRA contributions up to $7000 (if you are over age 50).  You must also have compensation from working.

A rollover is not considered a contribution and is not part of your $7000 annual limit.  If you did a direct rollover (direct from plan A to plan B) then enter the 1099-R and when asked what you did with it, select that you rolled it over to another qualified account.  It's perfectly OK to have a $3144 rollover from plan A to plan B and also $7000 of new contributions to plan B, because rollovers are not counted in your contribution limit.  

If you received a check from plan A, that is considered an indirect rollover.  You had 60 days to contribute it to plan B, but you must tell plan B that it is a rollover when you send them the money.  They may have a special form for you to fill out.   If you received a check for $3144 from plan A, and deposited $7000 into plan B, you can treat it as a $3144 rollover and $3856 of new contributions, as long as you completed the rollover within 60 days.  

If you did not tell plan B it was a rollover, or if you waited more than 60 days, then you don't have a rollover.  You have a taxable withdrawal from plan A, and $7000 of new contributions to plan B.  You will also owe a 10% penalty for early withdrawal from plan A unless you are over age 59-1/2.  

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

IRA rollover

Please clarify your question.

• Was the 1099-R for $3,144, or was it a larger amount?
  • You should indicate in the interview that a portion of the 1099-R ($7,000) amount was rolled into another qualified account.
  • You do not have to post anything on your tax return for the 5498 but keep it for your records.
  • What was the $3,100?
    • Was it a nondeductible contribution to the retirement account?
    • If so it should be listed on the 1099-R
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

IRA rollover

I interpret this as being a $3,144 distribution from some kind of retirement account, maybe an IRA, and an independent new contribution of $7,000 to an IRA.  As it stands, no, the $7,000 deposit is not a rollover of any part of the $3,144 distribution.

If the $7,000 deposit was not made within the 60 days following the receipt of the $3,144, nothing can be done to change any part of the $7,000 to be a rollover of any part of the $3,144.  However, if the $7,000 deposit was made within those 60 days, you can potentially contact Fidelity to correct the record of the $7,000 deposit to show that it was a rollover of $3,144 plus a new contribution of $3,856, if it's of any benefit for you to do so.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies