turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRA Excess Contribution Withdrawal 2019

I mistakenly performed a 2019 IRA contribution of $6000 on Feb. 20, 2020. 

When I found out that I was not eligible and this contribution was not deductible, I continued to submit my 2019 tax return without taking the deduction. 

After submitting an Excess IRA Contribution Withdrawal form for the $6000, it was returned to me on April 8,2020 but I was only given $5500 due to market fluctuation even though I did not invest the contribution.  (This is a short-sighted calculation by the IRS)

I am curious about the tax impact.  I am under the impression that I don't need to refile my 2019 taxes because I didn't take any deductions and I withdrew the amount prior to stated deadlines.

But, will I be able to claim any tax loss for the $500 that was unexpectedly "withheld" by the current IRS recommended calculation that my brokerage performed?  My broker says they will note the withdrawal on next years forms.

Any help is appreciated!  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

IRA Excess Contribution Withdrawal 2019

You will receive a 2020 1099-R reporting this that should be entered in an amended 2019 tax return.  However, only any gain shown in box 2a would be taxable.  If there was a loss and less was returned than your contribution then there would be no reason to amend since it would not change anything.

Losses in a IRA are not deductible and not reported anywhere.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies