turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my taxes were withdrawn monthly from my retirement and social security payments, why do I have a penalty for not estimating?

I don't understand why I should have to estimate my taxes when automatically pay them monthly just like I did when I worked.  How to I say that on Turbo tax forms?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

If my taxes were withdrawn monthly from my retirement and social security payments, why do I have a penalty for not estimating?

You were estimating, you just weren't estimating enough.

When you do withholding, you are directing that a certain amount of money be put into your account at the IRS to be held pending doing your tax return and finding out how much money you really owe. That is, the withholding is not actually paying the tax you owe, because you don't know how much you owe yet.

When you worked, your employer had IRS withholding tables and a W-4 to make a good estimate of how much you would owe at the end of the year, so for most people it works well. 

But for retired people, you don't have that aid.

Instead, you need to develop an idea of how much tax you will owe at the end of the year, then set your withholding to be one twelfth of that each month. Personally, I would make it slightly larger than that because of of COLA increases and the like.

And if you take an IRA distribution, then you will need to set the withholding to cover what your additional tax will be when the IRA income is added to your return.

Normally, I do this by getting an idea of what tax bracket I am in. If I am in the 12% tax bracket, then I need to withhold 12% of the IRA distribution - unless the IRA distribution is so large that it will put me into another tax bracket.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

And do you have withholding taken out of Social Security?  When you are in retirement you can actually have more taxable income than when you were working.  You don't have as many pretax deductions taken out.  

Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:

Married Filing Jointly: $32,000

Single or head of household: $25,000

Married Filing Separately: 0

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies