turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If i withdrew money from my 401k for corona virus distribution in 2020 does that disqualify me to claim retirement savings contribution credit on 2021 taxes?

Im paying the taxes over 3 years if that makes a difference to the answer.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

If i withdrew money from my 401k for corona virus distribution in 2020 does that disqualify me to claim retirement savings contribution credit on 2021 taxes?

Yes. Line 4 of Form 8880 says this:

Certain distributions received after 2018 and before the due date (including extensions) of your 2021 tax return (see instructions). If married filing jointly, include both spouses’ amounts in both columns

See Form 8880 with instructions.

@luscious80 

It depends on your final AGI.

your covid-19 distribution reported will increase your AGI.

That can disqualify you immediately.

On TT it asks if I received any disbursement after 2018. It also says they are only talking about early withdraw before due date on 2021 taxes. So do I answer yes or no if I took out money in 2020 for coronavirus disaster only?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You want to answer yes that you took a distribution so that you can mark your 1/3 for this year. When it asks the second time, mark no since you have already answered the question. You will get stuck going around forever otherwise.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That's why I'm confused I already input all the info for the 1/3  of my withdraw but later it asks this question. So is this question pertaining to the coronavirus withdraw or are they referring to any other withdraw besides the 2020 coronavirus withdraw?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Others, once you have marked your 1/3, answer no to the remaining questions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies