Solved: If I made an error in the amount of social security tax withheld and already e-filed what can I do?

mustlovdogs

If I made an error in the amount of social security tax withheld and already e-filed what can I do?

I made an error on the amount of SS tax withheld?

KittyM

You don't need to do anything.  The Social Security entries from your W-2 usually have no bearing on your income tax return.  If this error did in some way impact your return, the IRS will correct it and send your proper refund.

KittyM

mustlovdogs

i was going to file 1040X and amend the correct amount should i not do this and assume the IRS will correct it. Corrected amount changes my return by 400.00
KittyM

The IRS will correct a math error on your return, if that's all it is.  If they don't correct it, then you can amend your return.